As the Bye-Election for Debe South approaches on 7 February, The Checklist. takes this opportunity to pay tribute former Councillor for that Electoral District, the late Purushottam Singh.
Indian Culture, Miss Universe, Rock Concerts
PURUSHOTTAM SINGH had a total of 177 years of Cultural Service put together. He stage managed over 400 shows and concerts locally and internationally for over 27 Years. He also stage managed approximately 1,000 Mastana Bahar programmes and over 225 (NCIC) Divali Nagar Shows.
Purushottam Singh represented Trinidad & Tobago and the Caribbean in the 2005 Diaspora in India – (Manager) at the of age 32. He was also recognized by the Government of India for promoting culture in 2006, and travelled to India to receive award personally.
Puru started his career of stage management at the age of 18 with the 18th Indian Cultural Pageant in 1992 at Skinner Park San Fernando, being part of the Stage Management Team there. The following year he joined the Mastana Bahar Production in 1992, and also stage managed his first International Concert at Skinner Park San Fernando – Kanchan & Babla – with Majestic Promotions.
Purushottam was a Member of the 1999 Miss Universe Pageant Entertainment Community and also worked Back Stage with CBS Stage Managers at the age of 26. In 2008, he started the first Phagwa Celebration in Grenada 2008 with the Grenada Indian Association – Cultural Office (NCIC).
Listed below are some more AWARDS that were bestowed upon to Purushottam:
- The most outstanding Student in 1990 at the Siparia Senior Secondary School for academics, punctuality and sports
- Cricket Century – 107 Runs in 28 Balls in 1992 with Penal Sport – (under 19)
- National Council for Indian Culture (NCIC) 40th Anniversary – Loyal and Dedicated member for the propagation of Indian Culture – March 27th 2004
- Penal /Debe Regional Corporation-Cultural Award in 2008
- Award for the Promotion of Indian Culture in Grenada 2011 by the Grenada Indian Association and Presented by the Honourable Minister of Foreign Affairs
- Award for the Promotion of Indian Culture by the Rotary Club of Penal – November 21st 2012
- Played a small scene in the movie “Bazodee” alongside international actor Kabir Bedi 2014. Also, worked behind the scenes of the movie “Dulha Mil Gaya.”
- Staged Managed Local and Bollywood shows in Toronto, USA, and throughout the Caribbean Indian Diaspora.
- Staged managed majority of Rock concerts from the early 1990’s to 2010. Survivor, Journey, Foreigner, Peter Cetera, Air Supply, etc….
- Managed two successful dance groups in Sri Devi Dance and Kal Nayak.
Other Organizations that he was a member of were:
- NATIONAL COUNCIL FOR INDIAN CULTURE (NCIC)
- Cultural Officer – 2001 to 2021 (20 Years)
- HINDI FOUNDATION OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO
- Executive Member – 2004 to 2021 (17 Years)
- INDIAN CULTURAL PAGEANT
- Stage Management Team – 1992 to 2003 (11 Years)
- MASTANA BAHAR PRODUCTION
- Stage Manager – 1992 to 2021 (29 Years)
- CHILDREN OF MASTANA BAHAR
- Stage Manager – 1995 to 2019 (24 Years)
- DIVALI NAGAR YOUTH CHAMP COMPETITIONS
- Co-Producer – 2001 to 2019 (19 Years)
- MISS DIVALI NAGAR
- Producer – 2004 to 2018 (14 Years)
- CHUTNEY SOCA MONARCH
- Stage Manager – 1995 to 2019 (24 Years)
- NEW WORLD VISHWASHANTI SPIRITUAL FOUNDATION
- Cultural Officer – 2000 to 2019 (19 Years)
Other organisations he was affiliated with included:
- Kalicharan Memorial Temple – Gopie Trace Penal
- Black Water Village Council – Gopie Trace Penal
- United Sport Club – Gopie Trace Penal
- Lakrani Hindu Temple – Gopie Trace Penal
This long list of life achievements, cut short at the age of 48, shows why when speaking with persons he was dubbed “Cultural Ambassador”. As it can be clearly seen that he was always a person that pushed the Culture of Trinidad and Tobago, particularly the Indians aspect of it.
“Puru ” or “Boyo” as he was fondly known, also was a dedicated and loyal supporter of the United National Congress and the Political Leader Kamla Persad Bissessar S.C. Purushottam served in many capacities in the UNC. He was the former chairman of the Constituency for Oropuche West, Alderman in the Penal/Debe Regional Corporation and then elected as Councillor for the Electoral District for Debe South.
Purushottam Singh will be deeply missed and will always be remembered for his work in the field of the Arts and also his work as a Councillor for the district of Debe South.
– Brian Baig and Allen Sammy